Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

Hi Peder

I wonder if you could give some pointers on stress on syllables. I find some words very difficult to enunciate because I don’t know where the stress falls.

For example, eksempeloppgaver or kommunikasjon

Is there a specific pattern to stress and are there rules dependent upon how many syllables there are? I know that in some languages the stress on a word changes depending on the number of syllables. So say there are 3 syllables in the word then the stress always falls on the 2nd syllable but if there are 4 syllables then the stress falls on the 3rd, unless the word is borrowed from another language which can affect the pronunciation.

Ivan
    Participant

I would also like to know about this 🙂

Dia Eddin
    Participant

me too

Anonymous

“Trykket ligger normalt pĂ„ fĂžrste stavelse i ordet; i sammensatte ord ligger hovedtrykket der, mens fĂžrstestavelsen i sisteleddet fĂ„r et klart bitrykk. Unntakene er nesten alltid fremmedord eller lĂ„nord: Mange ord, sĂŠrlig lĂ„nord fra tysk, har trykklette forstavelser (betale, fortelle), og hovedtrykket kommer her pĂ„ andre stavelse. I lĂ„nord fra romanske sprĂ„k ligger hovedtrykket ofte pĂ„ en senere stavelse, gjerne den siste (kontor, billett). I Ăžstlandsk og trĂžndersk vil hovedtrykket ofte ligge pĂ„ fĂžrste stavelse ogsĂ„ i slike ord, med bitrykk pĂ„ den opprinnelige trykkstavelsen.”

Hjelper det? Fant det pÄ snl sitt nettsted.

Heather
    Participant

Thank you Bettina! I think I get the gist of it, but some of it I couldn’t translate. I’m seeing that in general the stress in on the first syllable unless it’s loan words from i.e. Germany where the stress is on the second. From Romance languages the stress falls on the last syllable, which is all ok if you know which words are borrowed! Haha.

Also, a word like ‘hovedtrykket’, I imagine the stress to fall on the second last (3rd syllable) because of the ‘kk’. I also imagine ‘fĂžrstetstavelsen’ to have the the 3rd out of 5 syllables but I could be completely wrong. It’s actually the longer words that I have most trouble with even words like ‘informasjon’. I know that this is a borrowed word from French and as such it says that the stress falls on the last syllable. Is this correct?

It’s all very confusing!

Anonymous

Jeg tror om det er sammensatte ord som hovedtrykket ligger trykket pĂ„ den samme plass som pĂ„ det enkle ord (hoved og trykket )… ved informasjon ligger den pĂ„ den siste tror jeg.

Peder B. Helland
    Keymaster

I can confirm that the stress falls on the last syllable for informasjon. I recorded myself saying some of  the example words in this topic. You can listen here: http://www.learnnorwegiannaturally.com/norwegian-language/norwegian-stress-examples-pronunciation/

First of all, as you know there are many dialects in Norway. One of the things that can change depending on the dialect, is where the stress falls. Because of this, several variations in pronunciation of a word can be correct depending on which dialect you speak. I live near Oslo and pronounce the words as most other people here do (unless they’re speaking in another dialect of course).

Good information, Bettina! The text basically says that the stress normally falls on the first syllable in words, and that the exceptions almost always are loanwords. In loanwords it’s typical that the stress falls on the second or the last syllable.

I can definitely understand that this is difficult. I would suggest to listen to as much Norwegian as possible to learn the pronunciation of the words naturally. It can often be difficult to know which Norwegian words that are loanwords and where they come from.

Again, listen to my pronunciation above to hear how the different words are pronounced depending on where the stress falls.

Heather
    Participant

Thank you Peder. I’m starting to get a bit more familiar with some of the stresses. I noticed that most stresses fall on the first syllable particularly with shorter words. It’s mainly the longer words I have trouble with for some reason as the stress falling on the first syllable seems rather odd.

Dia Eddin
    Participant

I think Heather, We should practice listening more to be able to understand the stress on syllables.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Dia Eddin.
    Heather
    Participant

Agreed Dia. I spend more time reading than listening. I intend on changing that. 🙂

agnete
    Participant

try with radio, clips osv

tv archive at nrk.no would be helpful too. I remember watching a documentary about two-culture wedding – Hindu dude and Somali (?) gal and their preparations. There is also Brakkefolket series about Poles and other immigrants living in brakker at suburbs.

Iém writing this because I know that any listening to Norwegian is friggin helpful, you gotta go with it even if there is some beruset nordlending talking about Kvalþya or something 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by agnete.
    Heather
    Participant

Hah! You must have been reading my mind Agnete! I did in fact seek out  Nrk radio and have been listening today. An article called Kunstreisen, apt for me since I’m an artist. I don’t understand a lot of it but that is the point of listening – to learn – right? I also watched a video on YouTube where the guy walked around Norway and asked what was typically Norwegian. It was universally agreed that brunost was typically Norwegian :p They also asked how they felt outsiders see the Norwegian people. It was very useful to watch.

Anonymous

For those of you who are interested in languag/es there is a radio program called “SprĂ„kteigen” on NRK. You can download podcasts. I can only recommend it 🙂

agnete
    Participant

what did you guys begin with?

Heather
    Participant

I have downloaded a podcast app and have started listening to some of the podcasts on P3 on NRK. I think that will be quite helpful because people are talking to each other and that way you get to hear different accents and dialects…I hope, but also hope to hear a more natural way of speaking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘General discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Skip to toolbar